5 Benefits of Powering off Your Display
June 13, 2023 - Almost all of our displays are rated for 24/7/365 use. However, there are several reasons why you should power them down for at least a half hour per day, if possible. There are benefits to the display's lifetime, the environment, and your bottom line:
Reasons to turn off your display when it is not in use:
- You will reduce your energy consumption. Displays consume more power when powered on vs. powered off, even if they are simply displaying a black screen. Turning your display off will reduce your overall energy consumption. While this might not be a huge contributor to your overall carbon footprint, every watt counts.
- You will save on energy costs. Lower energy consumption will lower a company's electricity bills, which can have a positive impact on the company's bottom line. Since every system, company, and application is different, there is no true way to say how much money you may end up saving by turning off your display, but it will be something. In hot climates, you may even experience marginal savings on air conditioning, as displays output heat during operation.
- You will increase the longevity of your display. Most of our displays have an average lifespan of over 50,000 hours. LEDs have a finite lifetime and tend to reach half-brightness after operating for this amount of time. As the current backlight technology of almost all contemporary LCDs, users should keep this limitation in mind. Backend components are also well-served by regular short "rest periods". To simplify things: by giving the display shut-eye time, it won't have to strain as much, ultimately leading to a longer life.
- You will have a positive environmental impact. Reducing energy consumption comes with the positive result of reducing your company's environmental impact. Less energy used leads to a more sustainable business operation.
- You can reduce overall business costs associated with the display. Leaving a display on can reduce its lifespan, requiring that the display be replaced earlier. Turning off your display when not in use can help extend its lifespan and reduce costs with maintenance and replacement.
Overall, creating the practice of turning off your displays when they are not in use can decrease energy use & costs, and help maintain your displays' overall health.
By Sareesha Nile